Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back to Blogging

I don't know how long this will last, or how exciting it will be, but I'll give it a go again.

Hi, I'm back and posting. I'll try to keep it interesting. For starters, I am happy to say that I did not loose my job last week. My employer had to "right-size" (by the way, I freaking hate that term) because the "economy has caught up to us". There is a lot I could go into here, but this is not the place, and frankly, I'm not a manager and I didn't have to make the difficult decisions that our management had to make. Suffice it to say that after about a week of being scared about the potential of loosing my job (along with everyone else with whom I work), it was finally made clear who was staying and who was going.

I feel pretty crappy for the people who lost thier jobs, and it scares me into a reality of how thinly I might be holding on to this one, but at the same time I'm very glad to still be here and to still have a paycheck. So yes, I can make the payment on the house that I just moved into three days before it was confirmed that I will be keeping my job.

-----

In other news, finally having a house after half a life of living in apartments is super-duper-sweet. There are already a thousand projects that the wife and I would like to do, but the need to work (thankfully I still have the job) sucks up most all the available time. This concept is nothing new to anyone reading this blog. One of the laws of the human part of the universe is that there will never be enough time to do all the things you want to do. Unless of course you don't care about doing "things", in which case there is time to waste just like sprinklers watering a lawn on a rainy day. We have a first class dirt back yard, like a blank canvas ready to be painted. All we have to do is agree on how to fill it in, AND then fill it in.

After almost a year of living with family and generally having several people to come home to and hang out with, it's strange now for the wife and I to be the only people home in a comparatively large house. It's got nothing to do with the two of us having to actually talk to each other (man, what a drag!), it's just that suddenly there isn't anyone else around! This can only mean that we have to start hosting parties. Now only if we had a back yard for people to appreciate.....

1 comment:

  1. One thing I've learned: there is no job security anywhere (unless you're in the armed forces, but then you have to worry about literal firings). Glad things are good for you though.

    Oh yeah, and you don't need a landscaped backyard to party when there's mud wrestling!

    ReplyDelete