Monday, April 20, 2009

Walks and Bees

I went for a walk today. I've gotten into the habit of doing this fairly regularly at work, where I put on tennis shoes and break outside to get some (more-or-less) fresh air, to break up my work-clogged thoughts, and to de-smoosh my butt after confining it to a chair in front of my computer for all of the morning work hours. It was warm out there! It feels like summer is coming on already, and it's only April! But the birds seemed to enjoy the heat, they were singing and chriping and going all crazy hanging out up in the olive and oak trees.

The coolest thing I've seen yet on these walks was a hoard (gaggle? bunch? tons?) of bees swarming around what appeard to be their nest inside one of these nearby olive trees. I didn't know what it was as I approached, and I honestly thought somebody's fan or small jet engine was working away, cooling off a nearby building (you know, 'cause a jet engine would be used to cool a building). Turns out it was the flock (swarm? oodle?) of bees doing their bee thing, flying all around in their air traffic patterns waiting for their turn to drop off whatever goods they had back in the nest. Trust me, it was crazy, and impressive.

Buzz!

2 comments:

  1. OMG i hate bees. i would have run the other way!

    Tom noticed the chirping birds this morning. He told me they sounded happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A group of bees is a hive, swarm (in flight), bike, drift or grist.
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/animals/Animalbabies.shtml

    Check that off your list of things you didn't need to know.

    ReplyDelete