Tuesday, December 22, 2009

nonsense the the back yard

HOW IS A PERSON EVER SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE TIME TO KEEP UP WITH ALL OF THE CRAP on the internet? My goodness, someone has a baby (Laura's friend) and she posts every 26.5 minutes. News articles are coming out all of the time, some of them with actual, legitimate news! I need to plug a wireless router into my BRAIN in order to be constantly downloading stuff, and then I need a second brain just to sift through it all in a vain attempt to find anything useful or interesting! Usefulresting! That's my new word.

BACK YARD! My back yard is ... beginning to get out of control. Wait, let me back up a step.

NO PLAN. I've come to realize that I've been operating all these years without a real plan. I just do the stuff I enjoy, which usually comes at the expense of not getting done the stuff that I really need to do. Consequently I quess at what should come next. While that works sometimes, lately it has backfired. A lot.

Back yard. Again.
I dug five holes in anticipation of planting trees in my back yard. Then I realized I might not be able to afford the trees. Then I realized I could make it work out, but that essentially all the holes were in the wrong places. So I re-dug four of those five holes, and added a sixth hole a day before it rained for an entire weekend. All of my tree holes filled with water, and after a week when they still had not drained on their own, I spent two hours bucket-emptying them by hand.

Later I decided I needed to break up the chunks of clay I dug up so that when it does come time to plant, my new trees won't be loosely held in by huge blocks of earth. So I knocked down my dirt piles and attempted to break up everything with a tiller, except that there is still SO much water in my dirt that it actually binds to the tines of the rototiller, forming tha fast spinning wheel o'mud which eventually just skims over the dirt and fails to break up any of the clay.

I finally was able to buy the trees and have them delivered yesterday, but then last night at about 11:30 a random, freak wind storm came in from the east and blew all of them over, prompting me to get up out of bed and go move all of them around the side of the house and out of the wind. Oh yeah, and the wind stopped AS SOON as I finised moving the trees.

Good times. Oh and every time I walk around my back yard now, each boot becomes roughly 10 lb heavier what with all the mud that cakes on.

------------

I have to touch on a theme again, because I can't seem to stop whining about it. If any of you know a way I can earn money on the side of my real job, legally, please let me know. Baby is on the way, and so is a reduced income. Must dig way out of small financial hole and weld a lid on that hole.

-----------

Lastly, remember one thing today: Usefulresting.

2 comments:

  1. I remember now why I generally abandon my yard each winter only venturing out sometime in mid February. Too much mud and crappy weather.
    Plus, unless your yard is some sort of fire hazard, no one will blame you for lack of landscaping once they see the baby. 10 years later, we will start pointing and gossiping, but you have plenty of time until then to plant a flower two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you find out a legal way to earn money on the side of your job let me know b/c I could use that advice as well. :)

    ReplyDelete