Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Family Baby Shower

(Author's Note: This blog entry really should have been posted on Saturday, Jan 30th, right after Laura's baby shower ended. These are the thoughts that I was having at that time, so just assume that the date you see associated with this blog says 1/30/10.)

I honestly feel blessed and lucky. Too often I complain about my back yard or my work or some other nonsense. Today Laura had a baby shower to celebrate the coming of our first child, a boy whose name we honestly not yet determined. We probably had 30 people at our house, friends, family, people all gathered around to celebrate the coming of our kid. I was sitting on the couch much later that evening after everyone had left, and I was washed over with a feeling of wholeness, of hope, and even of love.

I know I'm getting really cheesy here, but in that moment it really sank in ... just how fortunate Laura and I are to have so many wonderful relationships. So many people who care about us, who care about our child to be, and who let us care about them. It it a truely amazing thing to have such good friends and family, and to be able to share our experiences with them all.

I sat there and soaked up the bliss, thinking to myself how it's such a damn shame that so many of life's nuances block the observation of this feeling. I bet that this feeling is always there, but that it's hard for someone like me to really know it and appreciate it when I am most often paying my attention towards so many other psychological debts.

Anyway, the point is just that I wanted to give thanks to everyone for coming. I know that most of them won't read this, but somehow, in some way I wanted to reflect the warmth and humility I felt in that moment back out to the world.

I can't believe I'm about to be a father!

3 comments:

  1. Andy, I'm SO EXCITED for you guys! You are going to be wonderful parents because you are already a wonderful Aunt and Uncle as well as great pseudo-parents to my own kids. Hurry up March 8 and get here already!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

    PS Tom has kept Laura's thank you card because it was blue. It's on a shelf, above his bed with his pez dispensers for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...how nice Andy. You're welcome. And as Tara expressed above you guys will be wonderful parents...I really know that when I look back at my pictures of Hannah dressing you up as a princess. :) I too can't wait for your little guy to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I'm pretty excited to meet the little guy, and and almost equally as excited to show him off.

    ReplyDelete