Monday, July 6, 2009

4th weekend recap

Hung out with the Morrills Thursday evening after work, which is always fun. Hannah sure enjoys bossing people around (well, me anyway). She instructed me on how to hide things and how to dress up for "the party", which included me wearing some sort of feathery headband and a plastic lei necklace. She's always a crack up, and it's nice to catch up with Adam & Nicole.

Friday and Saturday mornings I went sculling (rowing in a single shell), trying to improve my technique before I go race at Lake Merritt in Oakland on the 12th. The sculling oars tear up my hands because I don't do it quite often enough to establish good calluses, so I am left with very (not) pretty blistered hands. That aside, the rowing is a lot of fun, and I am very hopeful that I'll be strong enough to qualify within the team to race in a big boat at the Head of the Charles in Boston this fall. I really enjoyed rowing on the Charles when I lived in Boston, and I just missed rowing in this popular fall race when I was out there because there were a few guys faster than me, so I am hopeful that I can have another go at it, and this time get in. Either wasy Laura and I are going out there to hang out and enjoy the fall colors (we purchased our flight tickets yesterday); we haven't been out there since she graduated four years ago.

Saturday we hung out at Laura's brother's place up in Folsom and BBQd. It was a rather laid back afternoon, as they usually are when we hang out there. They have an awesome back yard, perfect for such occassions, and they have a Wii, so when it gets dark out we retire inside and play Mario Cart. As always I ate too much. The evening was capped off, at least for Laura and I, watching the Boston Pops perform at the Charles River esplanade and the fireworks that they launch overhead. Yes I keep talking about Boston; it was a fun time and we have a lot of fond memories from those years.

What else? Oh, we purchased a bedroom set yesterday evening. And a Cal King matress (yeah baby!). We'd been looking at a lot of different options for a couple weeks, and finally settled on this particular one because (1) a lot of the furniture stores suck, (2) a lot of the furniture stores don't have what we were looking for, and (3) we finally, temporarily have the money to buy something.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. It is not just you Andy...Hannah bosses everyone around. Adam says she gets it from me...whatever!

    ReplyDelete