Monday, July 20, 2009

zip, row, moon

I finally found someone (here at work) with a Zip drive so that I could copy the contents of two old Zip disks over to a more practical (i.e. more current) media. When these disks were "new", they were the hot way to store a "lot" of information. By a "lot", I of course am speaking in terms of the year 2000, and I mean 100 Megabytes. I have two of these disks, and neither of them was completely full, but for arguments' sake let's say they were maxed out. I transferred their information over to my 4 Gigabyte thumb drive, where, if I do the math right, I could copy (4000 / (2*100)) = 20 times the information I have on these "full" Zip disks over to my one thumb drive. Incidentally, the thumb drive is less than 1/7 th the size of one Zip disk, and has no moving parts, so it's that much less likely to break. Check back in 9 years from now and let's see how much computer memory has grown again, and how my thumb drive has become obsolete.

----------------

Finally, the company that took photos at the rowing regatta a week ago has posted their photos on-line. They all have watermarks across them to discourage anyone from simply copying the photos for themselves, but you can still make out most of the detail. Check out this link here, then pick any of the photos at the left side. If the link doesn't work, or takes you to the wrong place, then visit the main page (www.sportgraphics.com), set the "All Schools" drop-down box to "River City Rowing Club", set the "All Events" drop-down to "Men's (AA-C) Masters Eight", then click the "Search Photos" button.

I am second in from the right, but some of my rowing buddies are a lot more entertaining to look at, like my friend Rex in the red had who seems to be having a stroke in almost every photo. These must be from somewhere near the beginning of the race because I don't seem to be breathing in any of the photos, and I recall very specifically sucking major wind as the race went on. Anyway, they are good for a chuckle.

--------

Lastly, and most importantly, Happy Anniversary to the Apollo program, which today marks 40 years since it first put a human on the moon. When do we go back again, and how can I be on that ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment