Sunday, March 14, 2010

coming back to normal

I think it's safe to say that late night blogging may not be the best thing for me to do. I suppose there is a higher degree of honesty in that activity, but in general it looks like I'm saying things that are unfounded and reactionary. I really shouldn't be freaking out like that until I give it a little time and understand what it means to be a parent a little better. This little boy of mine is a good kid, and he just wants to eat. The only way he knows how to express that is to cry, and he has no concept of volume, so he's gonna do whatever he's gonna do until someone takes care of him. The more I think back on his first week if life and some of my reactions to him, the more I realize that I have been selfish, thinking that he would somehow bend his needs to suit mine, or that there could ever be any sort of explanation for him just trying to get along other than the fact that he is just hungry and growing. Doesn't make me a bad person, just means I need to be more patient, and, ironically, learn to soothe myself in times when he is freaking out.

---------------

Ok, so let's get onto a better track here. We set up a second crib (one that my sister had given us) in our bedroom so that we can let the boy sleep there at night. It seems a little silly what with another crib in just the next room, but this way we can keep tabs on him through the night, and not have to go far to take care of him if he has a diaper issue or is hungry.

He has had lots of visitors so far in his first week of life. All the grandparents met him on his birthday and over the course of the last week have made subsequent visits. Also on his birthday he had visits from the Telford Clan, and Steph and Jen. He's been visited by two uncles (Laura's brothers) and Aunt Bridget, his cousin Lily, his Aunt Casey, his other cousins Ramsey and Hayden, Laura's coworker Mendy, our rowing friends "Auntie" Kathleen and "Uncle" Rex, friends Denise and Ken and their brand new little girl Kylie. He's made one trip to Laura's work to be shown off there, and today he'll meet Nicole. No doubt over the next few day and weeks there will be many more visits from among our really good set of friends and family. We're pretty lucky to have such a wonderful set of people in our lives!

Tyler also had his first pediatrician visit last Tuesday, and he did a great job despite being stripped naked and more or less felt up. Woo that cry! Poor little guy has so much to get used to in this world. At least he can be soothed by mom and dad. I can't wait for immunization day; that will be a true test of our soothing abilities.

All right, I'm just rambling now. Until next time, peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment