Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Update, the 30th

Our baby boy is quickly approaching one month of age, with all sorts of unique traits emerging all the time. The most prominent one is screaming, or crying, or shrieking, one of those. The one that sounds like a jet engine pointed at your ear. Yes, that's the one.

Laura will feed him for hours on end (literally, and hour on, a few minutes off, then another hour on) and begin to put him down because he IS completely limp and sleeping. Then just when you think you get a moment to, oh, I don't know, use the toilet, he goes from being completely peaceful to being raging angry. I'm not kidding. Zero to Angry Metal Band lead singer on crack in a fraction of a second. It's a bit terrifying; he'll empty his lungs and scream like he's being impaled. Maybe that sounds a bit extreme, but as newborn screams go, my son's wailings ARE my frame of reference; lacking a statistical comparison, I can only assume that some are worse, some are better. No doubt I'm not alone in this experience, but it can certainly be terrifying, and the only, ONLY thing that stops his cries is to hand him back to mom to feed again. Poor Laura is slowly turning into a zombie because she is always awake and feeding.

I'm not trying to complain here. I'm just telling my story. As more days go by (I can't believe he's already almost one month) the cries become easier to handle, and my approach to it all becomes more relaxed and understanding. Now I expect him to scream when he's hungry, and in a way I love it because it means he is alive and fighting and has big strong lungs. Plus it's really cool when I can help him calm down through singing or some other little game; it makes me feel like I am connecting with him, which is awesome.

He will make the strangest faces, and let out the most bazaar sounds even though he is fast asleep. We have not yet had the timing right with the video camera to capture this, but hopefully soon we will then we can share it. It's crazy to see him cry out then go immediately back to a solid sleep.

I don't know who knows. I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment